Thursday, April 25, 2013

Joenen Jump #2: Wild Knights Gulkeeva


Today, we're going to take a trip back to 2003. There were many things that were different... the iPod was starting... we had a president that almost died by choking on a pretzel... most importantly, there was no youtube.  "But, how would one watch video film on the internet without youtube!?" You may ask. Well, if it wasn't on Newgrounds or Ebaumsworld, then you'd have to go to the sketchiest places on the internet to find what you need. I say this because this is where I found this anime. I was in 8th grade in 2003 and I was watching anime openings when I clicked on... this.

Or go to this for top quality. I could find it in my uploader :( 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wGy_DVhwFU
Now, before you," tch, typical 90s anime." Get into the 8th grade mentality. Ripping intro? Kid around my age with a sweet sword beating up alien/demons with an armored wolf, eagle AND gorilla!? I was instantly hooked! I WANTED to watch this anime! but, I fell victim of the early stages of the internet and no one heard of this... but now, after 10 years, I finally found the entire series online. After watching the first episode... here is how I feel about the whole series.
This show is so good!!! I really enjoyed the first episode. I know, I know it's the first episode... but I enjoyed the light-hearted aspects of the show. Not only that, but the biggest thing that stood out in my mind? The main character... has parents. that are ALIVE! and on top of that, they help the main character! I don't want to discuss too much about the first episode, but I'll sum the plot like this (in the words of geekasaurus mike) It's like Thundercats meets He-Man.
Now, before you go and watch it and come back and be like,"ISTOTULEENAHTLAIKDATATAL" let me explain something. This show was made in the 90s. Not only that, but it was anime in the 90s. You miss bare midriff shirts and mullets? They're back. Remember how people were overly moody because there weren't any guitar solos on the radio in the 90s? Well... I was... anyways! This has a lot of the antics that were popular in 90s anime. So, think about it like this: 80s set but with a 90s display. A lot like me!
So, after having an anime release that was 10 years in the making, I heavily encourage everyone to at least try this anime. Yeah, it doesn't break any new ground in terms of plot, but it's a good old 90s anime that reminds us of the golden age of anime and how it has progressed since then. One last key note: watch out for fan art of this show. The animals get really close...
Here's the first part of the first episode! 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjzwu5sfuoQ&list=UU9iLuTAzLAYInIzzbKKRrnw&index=75
Thank you for reading!
Joey

No comments:

Post a Comment