Thursday, April 4, 2013

Metal Cereal #2: Amaranthe: The Nexus

In the first edition of Metal Cereal, I discussed a new band that I was getting into named Amaranthe. Yesterday, the new album “The Nexus” dropped and it has been going around like wildfire. There have been mad raves about this album. But! Does it live up to my standards?
Lady! Why are you ALWAYS turned around like that!?



The album starts off with Afterlife, which exemplifies what they do best: a triple voice onslaught with booming drums and great solos! From the start, I’m hooked. The following tracks, Invincible and The Nexus, have a more single feel in addition to the sophomore tracks on the beginning album (Hunger, 1,000,000 Lightyears). Although tracks like Burn With Me may provide a more mid-tempo feel, it doesn’t stop the heavy barrage of strained vocals and thunderous drumming throughout the rest of the album. Each track has a similar structure of expected verse-chorus format, but like the first album, the different vocals add a different feel for each part of the song. Simply put, this album is constructed the same as the first album and I didn’t want to reiterate the things I said in my review of the first album.
At points, I felt like I was at the eye doctor. You know, when they give you the lenses and they say,” which one looks better? This one? Or this one?” and it’s really the same thing? Yeah… but then I listened harder to the music instead of just hearing it…
This is where some people have complained about this album; that it's just the same. Now, I know many people always want something new with each album. However, even though the structure of the tunes and overall feel  resemble that of the first album, there are changes in the sound. The biggest thing is that the tracks sound more digital, which was something I read in an interview with the guitarist to the group. Throughout each track, you will notice keyboard leads, digital effects and mastering tricks that really play up the more “digital nightmare” feel of the album. The track that sticks out the most with this is Electroheart, which has some kind of darkwave/metal feel, like a disturbed variation of Nightwish’s Wish I Had An Angel. Thankfully, they didn’t play up their effects so much that they wouldn’t be able to perform it live unlike SOME bands.

You can totally play like that for 2 hours, right?

Something that I have always admired about Amaranthe is the ability to find the fulcrum between catchy and heavy. With this album, I didn’t catch myself singing one vocalist’s part; I became THAT person… you know, the person that sings every part of a song? Yeah, that’s how I was throughout this whole thing. Every chorus sticks in your head, the riffs are addictive, and even the harsh vocals are vital for the overall feel of the track. Not only that, but I love it when there isn't a weak player in the group and if one person were to be switched out the overall feel wouldn't be the same. Thankfully, they just clicked together to make a unique sound!

So, really what I’m saying about this album is this: If you liked the first one, you’ll like the second one. Yes, there are things that are different, but it’s not a complete step out of their comfort zone. After all, this is just their second album, and their first one was just released two years ago. To be honest, they can pump out songs like this for the next 20 years and I’ll be happy!


Here is the link to listen to the whole album!!!

http://www.smnnews.com/2013/03/15/swedens-amaranthes-streaming-the-nexus-in-full/

No comments:

Post a Comment